This Easter I didn’t get any Chocolate Easter Eggs, not at all, not one. So to ensure I got some chocolate hit I adapted a classic Julia Child recipe for almond and chocolate pie, I then made it more decadent and rich by encasing in a cinnamon and chocolate sweet pastry.
Now I believe every recipe is a bastardisation of an original , fact. Use it to add your own favourite flavour, Make it your own.
- You can add Vodka to the Pastry as it works well with GF flour and makes it more stable, or add another flavoured alcohol
- Change almonds to a favourite nut, ground pecan, walnut, pistachio, macadamia
- Add choc chips if you like as well for an added dimension
And finally this kept really well under the cake dome for 3-4 days and just got better and better served with pistachio iceream homemade course! ( see the facebook page for more details )
RECIPE GF Chocolate and Almond Cake PIE
( if you want to make non GF just change the flour)
I made the pastry first so it could chill ( which I always find really therapeutic)
- 50g coco,or grated cacao
- 50g icing sugar,
- 2 tsps cinnamon or allspice
- 50g Gluten Free Plain Flour ,
- 75g salted butter
- 4tbsp ice cold water ( or add 4 tbsp of vodka!)
- Mix the Butter, coco, icing sugar, flour together into bread crumb texture
- Add water to make it in to a dough
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill
Make the Cake batter-
(this looks like a lot to do but its a really quick to get altogether)
*this is in cups as American recipe, also I didn’t make the frosting as it was rich enough
- 4 ounces or squares semisweet chocolate , melted
- 2 Tbsp. espresso coffee
- 1/4 pound or 1 stick softened butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar to mix with butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar to beat with egg whites
- 1/3 cup p ground almonds
- 1/4 tsp. almond extract ( i didn’t use this)
- 1/2 cup GF f plain flour , scooped and levelled, turned into a sifter
- To make cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour the cake pan. Set the chocolate and rum or coffee in a small pan, cover, and place (off heat) in a larger pan of almost simmering water; let melt while you proceed with the recipe. Measure out the rest of the ingredients.
- Cream the butter and 2/3 cup of sugar together for several minutes until they form a pale yellow, fluffy mixture. Beat in the egg yolks until well blended.
- Beat the egg whites and salt in a separate bowl until soft peaks are formed; sprinkle 1 Tbsp. sugar and beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- With a rubber spatula, blend the melted chocolate into the butter and sugar mixture, then stir in the almonds, and almond extract. Immediately stir in one fourth of the beaten egg whites to lighten the batter. Delicately fold in a third of the remaining whites and when partially blended, sift on one third of the flour and continue folding. Alternate rapidly with more egg whites and more flour until all egg whites and flour are incorporated.
- Okay here is where you get your pastry out of the fridge and roll out into your pie dish
- Turn the batter into the pie crust. Bake in middle level of preheated oven for about 25 minutes. Cake is done when it has puffed,and is a little wobbly ( think brownie gooey centre)
Eat away ! Served it with homemade pistachio Ice- cream too!