A super quick post for making fresh pasta step by step, made this yesterday for husbands supper and picky teenagers- wolfed down with glee!
I first successfully made fresh pasta doing a demonstration in front of 100+ people so with lots of pressure to get it right. It’s a pleasureable experience and truly makes a difference to the flavour and recommend it, the pasta machines are fabulous but you could use a rolling pin too.
Few tips I have learnt through trial and error ( am sure not traditional but work for me)
- The richness of just egg yolk is better than full eggs ( and adding olive oil gives a delicious richness – I use aSicilian one for its grassiness freshness)
- Knead it properly, it shouldn’t be sticky, the time spent is worth it
- Don’t over flour your pasta, add semolina or your 00 flour sparingly to stop any stickiness
- Semolina adds a nice roughness to pasta and texture is great for catching sauces!
- Add flour to your pasta machine
- Rest the pasta much easier to work with
- You don’t need expensive equipment I use a clampless pasta machine and dry my pasta on string tied across my cupboard handles!
Today having the excess pasta now fully air dried with spring flavours : wilted gem lettuce, parmasen, freshly podded peas, lemon, olive oil and griddled hallumi cheese.
Through summer I’m going to work on flavoured pasta with vegetables as the flavour and colouring – beetroot, spinach, carrot, even created a sweet pasta with apples and cinnamon for a sweet lasagna
Will post recipes when im experimented